About this book
Nanotechnology is the art, science, and engineering of designing materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale from bottom-up and/or top-down approaches. The material properties at the nanoscale are governed by quantum mechanics, and hence are drastically different than those at the macro/micro scale. It is thus no surprise, that nanotechnology has led to a scientific and technological revolution.
This book provides a gentle introduction to the field of nanotechnology for first-year undergraduate students. It not only covers the fundamental scientific concepts in a tutorial fashion, but also provides an overview of applications in nanoelectronics, spintronics, nanophotonics, nanofabrication and nanocharacterization. End of chapter research assignments focus on nanomanufacturing, computing and communication, renewable energy, defense applications, food processing and agriculture, automobile and aerospace technology, nanobiotechnology and bionanotechnology, industrial and consumer applications. Finally, the topics related to safety, health, and societal impact of nanotechnology are discussed.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11733-7
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-11731-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-11733-7
- Series Print ISSN 2192-4791
- Series Online ISSN 2192-4805
- Buy this book on publisher's site