About this book
This edited volume brings together original sociolinguistic and cultural contributions on food as an instrument to explore diasporic identities. Focusing on food practices in cross-cultural contact, the authors reveal how they can be used as a powerful vehicle for positive intercultural exchange either though conservation and the maintenance of cultural continuity, or through hybridization and the means through which migrant communities find compromise, or even consent, within the host community. Each chapter presents a fascinating range of data and new perspectives on cultures and languages in contact: from English (and some of its varieties) to Italian, German, Spanish, and to Japanese and Palauan, as well as an exemplary range of types of contact, in colonial, multicultural, and diasporic situations. The authors use a range of integrated approaches to examine how socio-linguistic food practices can, and do, contribute to identity construction in diverse transnational and diasporic contexts. The book will be of particular interest to students and scholars of translation, semiotics, cultural studies and sociolinguistics.
Giuseppe Balirano is Professor of English Linguistics and Translation in the Department of Literary, Linguistic and Comparative Studies at the University of Naples ‘L’Orientale’, Italy.
Siria Guzzo is Tenured Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics in the Department of Humanistic Studies at the University of Salerno, Italy.
language and food communities of practice diasporic communities language contact performative identity construction ethnic identity post-nationalism transnationalism Audiovisual translation globalisation Italian-Americans semiotic analysis Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA) cross-cultural contact
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Food Across Cultures
- Book Subtitle Linguistic Insights in Transcultural Tastes
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11153-3
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-11152-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-11153-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXII, 211
- Number of Illustrations 15 b/w illustrations, 10 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site