About this book
‘The potential impact of Brexit on the United Kingdom’s internal security is huge – and often misunderstood. This book looks at the issues coolly and clearly, and proposes sensible ways forward. It is essential reading for practitioners and academics – whatever their views on Brexit.’
– Lord Jay of Ewelme, Chairman of the European Union Home Affairs Sub-Committee, House of Lords, UK, and former British Ambassador to FranceThis book explores the viability of future UK-EU internal security arrangements in light of Brexit, including their impact on the UK’s and the EU’s security and international standings. The authors discuss on-going negotiations and address the main political and legal concerns of possible future arrangements. As the UK prepares to leave the EU, the country is faced with having to develop new cooperation models with its neighbours to fight growing transnational security threats, as well as new strategies to maintain its leading role as an international security actor. In exploring these issues, the book aims to contribute to the general knowledge on the risks and opportunities associated with the disentanglement of the UK from European internal security cooperation; to shed more light on the debates surrounding the negotiations; and to inform the policy discussions that form the basis of proposed cooperation models and that are likely to significantly shape the future UK-EU security relationship.
Helena Carrapico is Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations at Aston University and co-Director of the Aston Centre for Europe, UK.
Antonia Niehuss is a researcher in international relations at the University of St Andrews, UK.
Chloé Berthélémy is a researcher in European affairs at Sciences Po Lille, France.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-04194-6
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-04193-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-04194-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site