About this book
The American Jewish Year Book, now in its 118th year, is the annual record of the North American Jewish communities and provides insight into their major trends. The first two chapters of Part I include a special forum on "Contemporary American Jewry: Grounds for Optimism or Pessimism?" with assessments from more than 20 experts in the field. The third chapter examines antisemitism in Contemporary America. Chapters on “The Domestic Arena” and “The International Arena” analyze the year’s events as they affect American Jewish communal and political affairs. Three chapters analyze the demography and geography of the US, Canada, and world Jewish populations. Part II provides lists of Jewish institutions, including federations, community centers, social service agencies, national organizations, synagogues, Hillels, day schools, camps, museums, and Israeli consulates. The final chapters present national and local Jewish periodicals and broadcast media; academic resources, including Jewish Studies programs, books, journals, articles, websites, and research libraries; and lists of major events in the past year, Jewish honorees, and obituaries.
Today, as it has for over a century, the American Jewish Year Book remains the single most useful source of information and analysis on Jewish demography, social and political trends, culture, and religion. For anyone interested in Jewish life, it is simply indispensable.
David Harris, CEO, American Jewish Committee (AJC), Edward and Sandra Meyer Office of the CEO
The American Jewish Year Book stands as an unparalleled resource for scholars, policy makers, Jewish community professionals and thought leaders. This authoritative and comprehensive compendium of facts and figures, trends and key issues, observations and essays, is the essential guide to contemporary American Jewish life in all its dynamic multi-dimensionality.
Christine Hayes, President, Association for Jewish Studies (AJS)and Robert F. and Patricia R. Weis Professor of Religious Studies in Classical Judaica at Yale University
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title American Jewish Year Book 2018
- Book Subtitle The Annual Record of the North American Jewish Communities Since 1899
Ira M. Sheskin
- Series Title American Jewish Year Book
- Series Abbreviated Title Amer. Jew. Y. B.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03907-3
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-03906-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-03907-3
- Series ISSN 0065-8987
- Series E-ISSN 2213-9583
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 937
- Number of Illustrations 36 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site