About this book
This book explores goal-oriented action and describes the variety of options offered by strategic management in guiding public organisations. The book is based on the idea that planning is only one option in orienting the functioning of public organisations and applies resource-based and network studies to the public sector. Whilst most of the existing literature on strategic management relates to local government, this book examines developments within central governments and public agencies external to government hierarchies. The book also addresses the strategic distinction between politics and administration often neglected by existing research, and illustrates the connection between goal setting and actual performance of government organisations.
Jan-Erik Johanson is Professor and Chair of Administrative Sciences at the University of Tampere, Finland. As well as strategic management, his recent research interests include hybrid organisations, innovation in regional networks, power relations in pension funds, and the determinants of efficiency in teams in projects funded by the Academy of Finland. He is currently vice-director of a research project studying performance of hybrid organisations.
strategic planning resource-based view governance public administration market economy civil society regulation administrative reform strategic design internal strategic scanning organisational processes caveats of planning knowledge-based view dynamic capabilities public agencies inter-organisational networks stakeholder management performance management organisation design heuristics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03439-9
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-03438-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-03439-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site