Table of contents
About this book
The book highlights the activities of the four most recent Arctic Council Chairs, Sweden, Canada, the United States and Finland. It considers the programs for action that each of these countries promoted during their terms at the helm of this major circumpolar organization. It examines the particular approaches, methods and strategies that each used to advance its agenda and the consequences of such efforts. It focuses attention on the need for building consensus among a diverse membership including Arctic states, organizations representing northern indigenous peoples, non-Arctic countries and non-governmental bodies.
Drawing upon the insights of scholars from several disciplines from across the circumpolar community, the collected essays in this volume seek to paint a picture of the real challenges and opportunities for international diplomacy in the contemporary North. It suggests that there are true “lessons to be learned” in advancing leadership within the region. The book provides a means for considering these and the most effective means of response.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03107-7
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-03106-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-03107-7
- Series Print ISSN 2510-0475
- Series Online ISSN 2510-0483
- Buy this book on publisher's site