Table of contents
About this book
Advances in sensor technology have yielded sensors with ever-increasing accuracy and higher spatial and temporal resolution—while their size, weight, and cost have decreased by many orders of magnitude. Sensor networks have been developing at a similarly rapid pace, with more and more real-world deployments for various applications.
This easy-to-read text focuses on challenges in coverage control—how to efficiently control individual sensors’ sensing unit to achieve network-wide coverage quality. As one of the most fundamental and important research issues in sensor networks, coverage control problems have been intensively studied in recent years.
Divided into four parts, this book opens with a general introduction, before presenting three categories of coverage control problems—point coverage, area coverage and barrier coverage—in the following parts. Employing a tutorial-like style, this book examines the fundamental coverage problems in each category and presents the most recent advances and techniques in the field.
Topics and features:
• Provides an introduction to sensors, sensor nodes, sensor networks, and sensor coverage models
• Supplies an informal definition and taxonomy for network-wide coverage control
• Explores the node placement optimization problem for coverage configuration before network deployment
• Investigates the coverage lifetime maximization problem by controlling coverage characteristics in a randomly deployed network
• Discusses the critical sensor-density problem for coverage configuration before network deployment
• Examines the sensor-activity scheduling problem of controlling network coverage characteristics in a randomly deployed network
• Introduces the node movement strategy problem for sensor networks containing mobile nodes
• Presents the challenges of building intrusion barriers and finding penetration paths
This useful text/reference for graduate students provides an overview of various coverage-control problems in sensor networks. The problem scenarios, solution techniques, and protocols presented in the text will also be of interest to researchers, developers and professionals.
Dr. Bang Wang is a researcher in the Intelligent Systems Center in Singapore, an applied research center jointly set up by Singapore Technologies Engineering and Nanyang Technological University.
- Book Title Coverage Control in Sensor Networks
- Series Title Computer Communications and Networks
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84996-059-5
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-84996-058-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-2551-8
- eBook ISBN 978-1-84996-059-5
- Series ISSN 1617-7975
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 210
- Number of Illustrations 79 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Computer Communication Networks
- Buy this book on publisher's site