About this book
Equal access to services and public places is now required by law in many countries. In the case of the visually impaired, it is often the use of assistive technology that facilitates their full participation in many societal activities ranging from meetings and entertainment to the more personal activities of reading books or making music. In this volume, the engineering techniques and design principles used in many solutions for vision-impaired and blind people are described and explained.
• a new comprehensive assistive technology model structures the volume into groups of chapters on vision fundamentals, mobility, communications and access to information, daily living, education and employment, and finally recreational activities;
• contributions by international authors from the diverse engineering and scientific disciplines needed to describe and develop the necessary assistive technology solutions;
• systematic coverage of the many different types of assistive technology devices, applications and solutions used by visually impaired and blind people;
• chapters open with learning objectives and close with sets of test questions and details of practical projects that can be used for student investigative work and self-study.
Assistive Technology for Vision-impaired and Blind People is an excellent self-study and reference textbook for assistive technology and rehabilitation engineering students and professionals. The comprehensive presentation also allows engineers and health professionals to update their knowledge of recent assistive technology developments for people with sight impairment and loss.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Assistive Technology for Visually Impaired and Blind People
Michael A Johnson
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84628-867-8
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-84628-866-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-5898-1
- eBook ISBN 978-1-84628-867-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVII, 725
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Biomedical Engineering and Bioengineering
Communications Engineering, Networks
Electronics and Microelectronics, Instrumentation
- Buy this book on publisher's site