About this book
Urological Emergencies: A Practical Approach, Second Edition provides a concise, evidence based review of common urgent and emergent urological conditions in children and adults. Descriptions of the appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic considerations on topics of traumatic, infectious, obstructive, hemorrhagic, iatrogenic, vascular and congenital urological emergencies in adults and children are provided.
The text is organized by pathophysiology rather than organ system, allowing the reader to develop approaches to the care of patients with acute urological conditions based on mechanism of disease. Relevant pathophysiological background and epidemiology are reviewed, necessary diagnostic testing recommended, and detailed medical, surgical and endourological management approaches have been provided. All chapters incorporate published guidelines and best practice recommendations from appropriate organizations including the American Urological Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and various International Consultations on Urological Diseases. New or significantly revised chapters in each of the subsections address innovations in trauma care and prevention, new strategies in management of kidney stones, and special care needs of children with acute urological problems.
Urological Emergencies: A Practical Approach, Second Edition is of great value to practicing urologists, urology residents, emergency medicine trainees and practitioners, and primary care providers including MD’s, PA’s, and NP’s without immediate access to urological consultation.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Urological Emergencies
- Book Subtitle A Practical Approach
- Series Title Current Clinical Urology
- Series Abbreviated Title Current Clinical Urology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-62703-423-4
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Humana Press, Totowa, NJ
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-62703-422-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4939-5633-3
- eBook ISBN 978-1-62703-423-4
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XIII, 341
- Number of Illustrations 70 b/w illustrations, 44 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews of the second edition:“Clearly aimed at practitioners and residents in urology, it will also be useful to acute care practitioners working in emergency facilities. A renowned set of contributors provide detailed reviews of all major urologic emergencies with practical approaches to the evaluation as well as their medical and surgical management. … This book complements clinical guidelines in an authoritative, practical, and comprehensive manner and should be kept readily accessible by practitioners who may be faced with diagnosing and treating patients with urological emergencies.” (Patrick Shenot, Doody’s Book Reviews, October, 2013)