About this book
This volume describes a broad spectrum of experimental approaches for investigating structure, function, and transport of neuronal mitochondria in health and disease. Most of these approaches were only recently developed and range from electron tomography-based 3D reconstruction of mitochondrial cristae to patch clamp recording from mitochondria in intact neurons. The chapters in this book cover topics such as mitochondrial proteomics, fluorescence lifetime imaging, respirometry and mitophagy, as well as optical approaches based on the use of genetically engineered fluorescent sensors for monitoring synaptic ATP and axonal ROS generation, mitochondrial Ca2+ cycling and pH changes, and mitochondrial dynamics and axonal trafficking in live neurons. Each chapter also discusses difficulties, tips, tricks, and precautions to take. Neuromethods series style chapters include the kind of detail and key advice from the specialists needed to get successful results in your laboratory.
Cutting-edge and comprehensive, Techniques to Investigate Mitochondrial Function in Neurons is a valuable and useful resource for a broad range of investigators interested in the function of neuronal mitochondria in health and disease states.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-6890-9
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media LLC 2017
- Publisher Name Humana Press, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Springer Protocols
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-6888-6
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-6890-9
- Series Print ISSN 0893-2336
- Series Online ISSN 1940-6045
- Buy this book on publisher's site