Table of contents
About this book
This comprehensive reference delves into the complex process of medical decision making—both the nuts-and-bolts access and insurance issues that guide choices and the cognitive and affective factors that can make patients decide against their best interests. Wide-ranging coverage offers a robust evidence base for understanding decision making across the lifespan, among family members, in the context of evolving healthcare systems, and in the face of life-changing diagnosis. The section on applied decision making reviews the effectiveness of decision-making tools in healthcare, featuring real-world examples and guidelines for tailored communications with patients. Throughout, contributors spotlight the practical importance of the field and the pressing need to strengthen health decision-making skills on both sides of the clinician/client dyad.
Among the Handbook’s topics:
- From laboratory to clinic and back: connecting neuroeconomic and clinical mea
Overcoming the many pitfalls of communicating risk.
- Evidence-based medicine and decision-making policy.
- The internet, social media, and health decision making.
The Handbook of Health Decision Science will interest a wide span of professionals, among them health and clinical psychologists, behavioral researchers, health policymakers, and sociologists.“. . . essential reading for those seeking to gain a comprehensive understanding of current theory and research in the rapidly evolving field of health decision making.” Paul Jacobsen, Ph.D.
“. . . a comprehensive look at the wonderfully complex topic of how individuals make decisions that are vital to health. . . .” Ellen Beckford, Ph.D., MPH
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-3486-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-3484-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-3486-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site