Table of contents
About this book
This book provides the latest published nutritional data about wild edible plants traditionally consumed in the Mediterranean region. This information, not usually included in nutrient databases of foods, provides insight into the revalorization of wild food species and preservation of their traditional uses. The text also presents wild edible plants as alternatives to improve the diversity of modern Mediterranean diets, as they may represent valuable sources of nutrients often lacking in modern societies, such as fiber or vitamin B9.
This work has expanded from the two initial groups, to involve different contributors, including experts from different countries, most of them bordering the Mediterranean Sea. As a result, a multidisciplinary approach has been achieved.The book is organized into four parts that deals with different aspects of wild edible plants, the last one and largest offering a detailed compilation of ethnobotanical and nutritional information about some of the most important Mediterranean wild edible plants.
Mediterranean Wild edible plants ethnobotany nutrient database pharmacology
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-3329-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-3327-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-3329-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site