About this book
This book takes the reader on a wide-ranging tour through churches, synagogues, mosques, and other worship spaces designed during the past 30 years. The book begins with a series of essays on topics ranging from the soundscape of worship spaces to ecclesiastical design at the turn of the 21st Century. Perspective pieces from an architect, audio designer, music director, and worship space owner are also included. The core of the book presents the acoustical and architectural design of a wide variety of individual worship space venues. Acoustical consulting firms, architects, and worship space designers from across the world contributed their recent innovative works in the area of worship space acoustics. The contributions include detailed renderings and architectural drawings, as well as informative acoustic data graphs and evocative descriptions of the spaces. Filled with beautiful photography and fascinating modern design, this book is a must-read for anyone interested in religious architecture, acoustical design, or musical performance.
- Provides detailed acoustic and architectural information for 67 worship space venues from 12 major religions directly from the acousticians who designed the spaces
- Features contributions from acoustical consulting firms and worship space designers worldwide, with spaces indexed by consulting firm and by geographic location
- Includes high-resolution photos and renderings, full-page architectural drawing
David T. Bradley, Ph.D. is an associate professor in the Physics + Astronomy Department at Vassar College.
Erica E. Ryherd, Ph.D. is an associate professor in the Durham School of Architectural Engineering & Construction at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln.
Lauren M. Ronsse, Ph.D. is an assistant professor in the Audio Arts & Acoustics Department at Columbia College Chicago.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-3097-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-3096-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-3097-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site