About this book
Mitigate the risks involved in migrating away from a proprietary database platform toward MariaDB’s open source database engine. This book will help you assess the risks and the work involved, and ensure a successful migration.
Migrating to MariaDB describes the process and lessons learned during a migration from a proprietary database management engine to the MariaDB open source solution. The book discusses the drivers for making the decision and change, walking you through all aspects of the process from evaluating the licensing, navigating the pitfalls and hurdles of a migration, through to final implementation on the new platform. The book highlights the cost-effectiveness of MariaDB and how the licensing worries are simplified in comparison to running on a proprietary platform.
You’ll learn to do your own risk assessment, to identify database and application code that may need to be modified or re-implemented, and to identify MariaDB features to provide the security and failover protection needed by corporate customers. Let the author’s experience in migrating a financial firm to MariaDB inform your own efforts, helping you to develop a road map for both technical and political success within your own organization as you migrate away from proprietary lock-in toward MariaDB’s open source solution.
What You'll Learn:
- Evaluate and compare licensing costs between proprietary databases and MariaDB
- Perform a proper risk assessment to inform your planning and execution of the migration
- Build a migration road map from the book’s example that is specific to your situation
- Make needed application changes and migrate data to the MariaDB open source database engine
MySQL Oracle Database Encryption at Rest Encryption in Transit PCI DSS SSAE 16 Open Source PL/SQL Linux Failover Galera MaxScale High Availability Clustering Licensing Risk Assessment
- Book Title Migrating to MariaDB
- Book Subtitle Toward an Open Source Database Solution
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4842-3997-1
- Copyright Information William Wood 2019
- Publisher Name Apress, Berkeley, CA
- eBook Packages Professional and Applied Computing Professional and Applied Computing (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4842-3996-4
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4842-3997-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 156
- Number of Illustrations 3 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site