About this book
Use math in unique ways to analyze things you observe in life and use proof to attain the unexpected. There is quite a wide diversity of topics here and so all age levels and ability levels will enjoy the discussions. You'll see how the author's unique viewpoint puts a mathematical spin on everything from politicians to hippos. Along the way, you will enjoy the different point of view and hopefully it will open you up to a slightly more out-of-the-box way of thinking.
Did you know that sometimes 2+2 equals 5? That wheels don't always have to be round? That you can mathematically prove there is a hippopotamus in your basement? Or how to spot four-dimensional beings as they pass through your kitchen? If not, then you need to read this book! Math Mutation Classics is a collection of Erik Seligman's blog articles from Math Mutation at MathMutation.com. Erik has been creating podcasts and converting them in his blog for many years. Now, he has collected what he believes to be the most interesting among them, and has edited and organized them into a book that is often thought provoking, challenging, and fun.
What You Will Learn
- View the world and problems in different ways through math.
- Apply mathematics to things you thought unimaginable.
- Abstract things that are not taught in school.
Who this Book is For
Teenagers, college level students, and adults who can gain from the many different ways of looking at problems and feed their interest in mathematics.
Math Mutation MathMutation.com bathroom book abstract math applied math number trick proof abstraction logic infinity
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4842-1892-1
- Copyright Information Erik Seligman 2016
- Publisher Name Apress, Berkeley, CA
- eBook Packages Professional and Applied Computing
- Print ISBN 978-1-4842-1891-4
- Online ISBN 978-1-4842-1892-1
- Buy this book on publisher's site