Table of contents
About this book
Biomedical Advances in HIV Prevention: Social and Behavioral Perspectives
Lisa A. Eaton and Seth C. Kalichman, editors
Three decades into the epidemic, a great deal is known about HIV and its transmission, more people are living with the disease, and the virus is no longer seen as a death sentence. But new people continue to be infected with HIV each year, making prevention strategies that are medically effective and behaviorally engaging as urgent a priority as ever.
Biomedical Advances in HIV Prevention: Social and Behavioral Perspectives assembles the latest improvements, barriers to implementation, and possibilities for--and challenges to--future progress. Innovations such as pre-exposure prophylaxis (antiretroviral regimens for the high-risk uninfected) and treatment as prevention (early use of ART to reduce infectiousness of new patients) are examined, as are current findings on ongoing prevention and treatment concerns.
Contributors illuminate the complex realities entailing adherence, pointing out technological, behavioral, and cultural roadblocks as well as opportunities to significantly reduce infection rates. Detailed up-to-the-minute coverage includes:
- Prevention services for persons living with HIV
- Adherence to HIV treatment as prevention and pre-exposure prophylaxis
- Advocating for rectal microbicides and safe lubricants
- Mental health and substance use in the scale-up of HIV prevention
- Risk compensation in response to HIV prevention
- Implementing biomedical HIV prevention advances: reports from South Africa, Uganda, Australia, Thailand, United States, Ecuador, and Peru
Researchers, practitioners, and policy makers working in the fields of HIV/AIDS and public health will look toward Biomedical Advances in HIV Prevention: Social and Behavioral Perspectives as both a means for developing and assessing current programs and a blueprint for the next generation of prevention efforts.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-8845-3
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-8844-6
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-8845-3
- Buy this book on publisher's site