Table of contents
About this book
The formation of gender identity is a singularly complex part of an individual's development. When this process is further complicated by conflict between experienced gender and assigned gender or by medical conditions affecting sex development,lifetime consequenses can result.
Gender Dysphoria and Disorders of Sex Development offers up-to-date understanding and interventions in one comprehensive volume featuring expert coverage of developmental trajectories, comorbid conditions, current medical and psychological treatments, and an instructive history of professional conceptualizations of gender dysphoria (GD) and disorders of sex development (DSD).
Introductory chapters analyze the roles of sex hormones and genetics in brain organization and introduce an integrative biopsychosocial model of gender development. A framework for age-appropriate treatment for children (including guidelines for working with infants), adolescents, and adults is the book's core. And as sex reassignment continues to prove a viable option for some individuals, the latest endocrine-based and surgical interventions for adults are discussed as well. Throughout, this groundbreaking reference work emphasizes empirical knowledge, compassion, a strong ethical base, and coordinated interdisciplinary care. Among the topics covered:
- Genetic aspects of gender identity development and gender dysphoria
- Psychosexual development in individuals with disorders of sex development
- Gender identity diagnoses: history and controversies
- Early medical intervention in adolescents with gender dysphoria
- Psychiatric comorbidity in adults with gender identity problems
- The impact of stigma on transgender identity development and mental health
For researchers and clinicians, including psychologists, psychiatrists, endocrinologists, and surgeons working in the field of GD and DSD, Gender Dysphoria and Disorders of Sex Development provides a unique view of the state of the field and recommendations for future research and care.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-7441-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-7440-1
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-7441-8
- Series Print ISSN 2195-2264
- Series Online ISSN 2195-2272
- Buy this book on publisher's site