Table of contents
Basic Understanding of Somatization
Theoretical Approaches to Mind and Body
Biopsychosociocultural Mechanisms in Psychosomatic Medicine
Practical Approaches to Patients and Family
Specific Psychosomatic Symptoms
Specific Psychosomatic Disorders
Specific Therapeutic Interventions and Biological Effects of Interventions
About this book
In these uncertain and disquieting times, clients presenting with stress problems are on the rise. Common, too, are those pains that refuse to go away--stomachaches, chest pains, and headaches that fall through the diagnostic cracks and resist appropriate interventions.
Somatization and Psychosomatic Symptoms brings theoretical clarity and frontline expertise to these challenging cases, offering integrative approaches and clinical tools.
This comprehensive reference addresses not only the assessment and treatment of chronic physical complaints but also explores the mechanisms that underlie them, expanding on current perspectives to create a biopsychosociocultural lens for practice. Specific symptoms and disorders are examined in depth, including stress-induced cardiomyopathy, post-stroke depression, and fibromyalgic pain. On the practice side, chapters review a gamut of interventions (from relaxation and mindfulness to systems and cognitive-behavioral), the therapeutic relationship, and the latest findings from psychopharmacology. Included in the coverage:
- A comparison of somatoform disorders with depressive and anxiety disorders.
- Genes, memes, culture, and psychosomatic medicine: an integrative model.
- Complementary and alternative treatment in psychosomatic medicine.
- Pain, depression, and anxiety: a common language of suffering.
- Motivational interviewing in psychosomatic medicine.
- Cancer: a psychosomatic perspective.
With its innovative takes on mind-body medicine, Somatization and Psychosomatic Symptoms will enhance the work of a wide range of professionals, among them psychiatrists, physicians, health and clinical psychologists, and rehabilitative medicine specialists.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-7119-6
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-7118-9
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-7119-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site