About this book
Positive psychology--the study and promotion of character strengths, positive emotion, and optimism--has gained considerable momentum and support in recent years. Yet despite its application to various specialty areas within the broader field of psychology, neuropsychology has been slow to adopt and adapt its ideas.
The contributors to Positive Neuropsychology assert that neuropsychology as a discipline should concern itself with promoting cognitive health as well as addressing pathology. In these pages, positive neuropsychology is conceived of as broadening and enhancing the field, focusing on key areas such as studying and developing cognitive strengths, considering the importance of lifestyle factors on cognition, preventing cognitive dysfunction, compensating for deficits, and promoting cognitive health through education and technology. Chapters reveal not only the benefits of understanding cognitive health and optimal outcomes across the lifespan, but also emerging avenues for practitioners to expand their work into non-traditional settings. Among the topics featured:
- Modifiable lifestyle factors that impact cognition through midlife.
- Effects of coping strategies on outcomes in neurological disorders.
- Promoting cognitive health through effective sports concussion management.
- Use of innovative assessment and compensatory strategies to promote the executive functions.
- Promoting psychosocial and cognitive wellness
Bringing new dimensions to the neuroscience, wellness, and positive psychology literatures, Positive Neuropsychology will interest a wide range of academics and clinicians, including neuropsychologists, geriatricians, health psychologists, cognitive neuroscientists, and other mental health and public health professionals.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-6605-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-6604-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-6605-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals