About this book
This Brief offers a concise, handy overview of the main concepts related to Embryology, revisited through the novel concepts that are applied daily in stem cell research and cell therapy oriented investigations. It is based on three main areas:
-The process involved in female gamete differentiation and maturation. The main aspects related to cell biology will be covered and an overview of the epigenetic regulation of gametogenesis will be presented.
-Early stages of embryo development with a careful analysis of the regulatory mechanisms driving cleavage, polarization and genome activation.
-Stem cell and gametogenesis.
The use of the oocyte as a possible source for the derivation of stem cell lines is discussed and depicted as a powerful tool to investigate oocyte potency and asymmetric imprinting. The potential biological implications are evaluated and use of stem cells to derive oocytes is presented.
- Book Title Gametogenesis, Early Embryo Development and Stem Cell Derivation
- Series Title SpringerBriefs in Stem Cells
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-5532-5
- Copyright Information The Author(s) 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4614-5531-8
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-5532-5
- Series ISSN 2192-8118
- Series E-ISSN 2192-8126
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 66
- Number of Illustrations 32 b/w illustrations, 16 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site