Table of contents
About this book
Between rising costs and decreasing accessibility, the present health care picture is fraught with shortcomings—a discouraging scenario for the millions of patients struggling with chronic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. In response, computer technology is emerging as a key factor in the transition from inefficient centralized health systems toward patient-centered, patient-involved care: pervasive healthcare.
In straightforward fashion, Pervasive Health Knowledge Management systematically explains how mobile technologies and knowledge management (KM) can streamline health systems by removing time and place limitations, reducing costs, and giving patients a more proactive part in managing their conditions. The book defines the role of KM in pervasive healthcare and analyzes its component processes and technologies. Chapters examine how and why KM works, review KM initiatives within and outside the U.S., and offer extended coverage of possibilities for ubiquitous computing in managing diabetes. Together, they outline a future that meets mounting chronic health concerns with efficient, cost-effective, patient-empowering strategies. Highlights of the coverage:
- Implicit and explicit knowledge assets in healthcare.
- Using pervasive technologies to manage knowledge in crisis situations.
- Smart phone application design and knowledge management for people with dementia.
- A pervasive technology solution for supporting diabetes self-care.
- Examining the business and IT aspects of wireless enabled healthcare solutions.
- Developing an internet-based chronic disease self-management system.
Healthcare administrators and researchers in healthcare management, health policy, and health services research will find detailed in Pervasive Health Knowledge Management a visionary approach to many of the most pressing problems in their fields.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4514-2
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-4513-5
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-4514-2
- Buy this book on publisher's site