About this book
English for Academic Research: Vocabulary Exercises
This book draws on English-related errors from around 5000 papers written by non-native authors, around 3000 emails, 500 abstracts by PhD students, and over 1000 hours of teaching researchers how to write and present research papers.
The exercises are organized into nine chapters on:
• adjectives and adverbs (e.g. actual vs current, different vs several, continually vs continuously)
• link words (e.g. on the contrary vs on the other hand, despite vs nevertheless)
• nouns (e.g. danger vs hazard, measure vs measurement)
• prepositions (e.g. among vs between, in vs into, with vs within)
• verbs (e.g. check vs control, compose vs comprise, arise vs raise, exclude vs rule out)
• false friends and synonyms
• useful phrases
Nearly all exercises require no actual writing but simply choosing between various options, thus facilitating self-study, e-reading and rapid progress.
The exercises can also be integrated into English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and English for Special Purposes (ESP) courses at universities and research institutes.
The book can be used in conjunction with the other exercise books in the series:
• English for Academic Research: Writing Exercises
• English for Academic Research: Grammar Exercises
Adrian Wallwork has written over 30 books covering General English (Cambridge University Press, Scholastic), Business English (Oxford University Press), and Scientific English (Springer). He has trained several thousand PhD students from all over the world to write and present their research. Adrian also runs a scientific editing service: English for Academics (E4AC).
- Book Title English for Academic Research: Vocabulary Exercises
- Series Title English for Academic Research
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4268-4
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Education (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4614-4267-7
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-4268-4
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 193
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, multidisciplinary
Chemistry/Food Science, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site