About this book
This volume reviews the past 10 to 15 years of intensive research and development that have led to bioaugmentation becoming an accepted technology. It includes background information on the basic microbial processes involved, as well as a thorough summary of the most important bioaugmentation strategies. It will serve as a valuable resource for environmental remediation professionals who seek to understand, evaluate and implement bioaugmentation. Topics include:
- A brief history and overview of bioaugmentation.
- A detailed review of the discovery of Dehalococcoides and the development of reductive dechlorination of chlorinated solvents as a remedial technology.
- The state-of-the-science for the production and handling of Dehalococcoides bioaugmentation cultures.
- A practical guide for deciding whether to bioaugment with Dehalococcoides.
- Design considerations for implementing bioaugmentation.
- A summary of the monitoring options during bioaugmentation with Dehalococcoides.
- Reviews of other bioaugmentation techniques, including aerobic cometabolism of chlorinated solvents, and treatment of carbon tetrachloride and methyl tert butyl ether.
- An analysis of the costs for bioaugmentation of chlorinated aliphatic compounds in groundwater.
- An assessment of and the uncertainties and opportunities for future bioaugmentation research and development.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Bioaugmentation for Groundwater Remediation
Hans F. Stroo
C. Herb Ward
- Series Title SERDP ESTCP Environmental Remediation Technology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4115-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4614-4114-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4899-9484-4
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-4115-1
- Series ISSN 1869-6864
- Series E-ISSN 1869-6856
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XL, 392
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Water Quality/Water Pollution
Waste Water Technology / Water Pollution Control / Water Management / Aquatic Pollution
- Buy this book on publisher's site