Table of contents
About this book
Mindfulness-based and acceptance-oriented therapies have become important treatment options for concerns as varied as depression, stress, and addictions, and are increasingly recognized as holding significant promise for addressing the complexity of relational issues. Especially as overwhelmed couples and overscheduled families struggle with issues of communication, trust, and forgiveness, mindfulness—the art of being in the moment and accepting without judgment—may hold powerful keys to healing.
Mindfulness and Acceptance in Couple and Family Therapy offers professionals a practical, straightforward guide to how mindfulness works and why it is well-suited to many seemingly intractable relational problems. Introductory chapters review psychological and relational benefits of mindfulness, summarize its robust empirical base, and explain how being present can directly affect entrenched family issues and couples’ longstanding behavioral impasses. Case examples and sample exercises illustrate therapeutic mindfulness and acceptance in action. Mindfulness and acceptance are applied to all aspects of practice, including building a therapeutic relationship, case conceptualization, treatment planning, and intervention. In addition, Dr. Gehart provides numerous practice-ready resources, such as:
- Sample questions and assessment techniques for case conceptualization.
- Treatment plan templates for individuals, couples, and families.
- Handouts and web resources for teaching mindfulness in session.
- Detailed intervention instructions and handouts.
As an evidence-informed therapeutic approach to difficult cases, or as a guide to more philosophical practice, Mindfulness and Acceptance in Couple and Family Therapy is an exciting new resource for couple and family practitioners, psychologists, social workers, and counselors.
- Book Title Mindfulness and Acceptance in Couple and Family Therapy
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-3033-9
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4614-3032-2
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-3033-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 247
- Number of Illustrations 2 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals
From the reviews:“A valuable resource to any therapist in need of a practical guide to introducing mindfulness techniques into a therapy practice. The book is divided into three parts, which address philosophical foundations, practice, and self care. … Mindfulness and Acceptance in Couple and Family Therapy is an insightful addition to any mental health care professional’s library … .” (S. E. James, Mindfulness, Vol. 4, 2013)