About this book
This book describes a specification, microarchitecture, VHDL implementation and evaluation of a SPARC v8 CPU with fine-grain multi-threading, called micro-threading. The CPU, named UTLEON3, is an alternative platform for exploring CPU multi-threading that is compatible with the industry-standard GRLIB package. The processor microarchitecture was designed to map in an efficient way the data-flow scheme on a classical von Neumann pipelined processing used in common processors, while retaining full binary compatibility with existing legacy programs.
- Describes and documents a working SPARC v8, with fine-grain multithreading and fast context switch;
- Provides VHDL sources for the described processor;
- Describes a latency-tolerant framework for coupling hardware accelerators to microthreaded processor pipelines;
- Includes programming by example in the micro-threaded assembly language.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-2410-9
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-2409-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-2410-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site