About this book
Cross-cultural knowledge management, an elusive yet consequential phenomenon, is becoming an increasingly essential factor in organizational practice and policy in the era of globalization. In order to overcome culturally shaped blind spots in conducting research in different settings, this volume highlights how the structuring of roles, interests, and power among different organizational elements, such as teams, departments, and management hierarchies (each comprised of members from different intellectual and professional backgrounds), generates various paradoxes and tensions that bring into play a set of dynamics that have an impact on learning processes.
In this context, such questions often arise: How is knowledge shared in the multicultural organization? What problems and issues emerge? How do different mentalities affect people’s responses to new knowledge and new ideas? How can knowledge-sharing processes be improved? Under which conditions do ideas generated by units or groups of different cultural traditions have a chance of being heard and implemented?
Such questions translate into an investigation of potential managerial dilemmas that occur when different but equally valid choices create tensions in decision making. The authors draw from experiences working with a wide variety of organizations, and insights from such fields as sociology and psychology, to shed new light on the dynamics of knowledge management in the multicultural enterprise. In so doing, they help to identify both obstacles to successful communication and opportunities to inspire creativity and foster collaboration. The authors note that in order to enable organizations to transfer knowledge effectively, mechanisms for dispute settlement, mediation of cultural conflict, and enforcing agreements need to be in place.
- Book Title Cross-Cultural Knowledge Management
- Book Subtitle Fostering Innovation and Collaboration Inside the Multicultural Enterprise
- Series Title Innovation, Technology, and Knowledge Management
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-2089-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Business and Economics Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4614-2088-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4899-8572-9
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-2089-7
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 166
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site