About this book
One of the major goals of psychology in recent years has been increased inclusiveness. The rise of research on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals has been a significant step in this direction, but the focus has tended to assume the universality of white male urban experience, leaving men and women of color nearly invisible.
The first reference of its kind, LGBT Psychology: Research Perspectives and People of African Descent examines the intersecting and often conflicting communities to which black gender-variant persons belong. Its coverage is multidisciplinary, drawing on qualitative and quantitative research data for a richly nuanced and culturally attuned account,revealing multiple layers of marginalization and co-existing, rather than prioritized, identities. Analyzing black homophobia and racial bias in the gay community from a social justice perspective, and relating these concerns to the struggles of LGBT people in Africa, the author also advocates for black issues in LGBT psychology as part of course curricula, and for systemic means of building research, theory, and practice. A wide range of resources and suggestions for further reading are included as the book explores these and other topics in depth:
- The complex roles of religion and spirituality.
- Sexual minority women of African descent.
- Black gay men in the South.
- LGBT students at historically black universities.
- Cultural-centrism and liberation psychologies.
- Urban versus rural experience.
- Educational,research, and community services.
LGBT Psychology is a watershed volume for counseling psychologists and social workers, and for researchers and educators looking to advance the field.is a watershed volume for counseling psychologists and social workers, and for researchers and educators looking to advance the field.
- Book Title LGBT Psychology
- Book Subtitle Research Perspectives and People of African Descent
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-0565-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4614-0564-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4939-0237-8
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4614-0565-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIV, 200
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site