About this book
These two volumes contain eighteen invited papers by distinguished mathematicians in honor of the eightieth birthday of Israel M. Gelfand, one of the most remarkable mathematicians of our time. Gelfand has played a crucial role in the development of functional analysis during the last half-century. His work and his philosophy have in fact helped shape our understanding of the term 'functional analysis'. The papers in these volumes largely concern areas in which Gelfand has a very strong interest today, including geometric quantum field theory, representation theory, combinatorial structures underlying various 'continuous' constructions, quantum groups and geometry.
The second of the two volumes contains the somewhat more 'geometric' papers, although such a designation is to a certain extent arbitrary, because of the breadth of the papers.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4612-4098-3
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Boston 1996
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser Boston
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Print ISBN 978-1-4612-8651-6
- Online ISBN 978-1-4612-4098-3
- Series Print ISSN 0743-1643
- Series Online ISSN 2296-505X
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking