Table of contents
About this book
Arithmetic algebraic geometry is in a fascinating stage of growth, providing a rich variety of applications of new tools to both old and new problems. Representative of these recent developments is the notion of Arakelov geometry, a way of "completing" a variety over the ring of integers of a number field by adding fibres over the Archimedean places. Another is the appearance of the relations between arithmetic geometry and Nevanlinna theory, or more precisely between diophantine approximation theory and the value distribution theory of holomorphic maps.
Inspired by these exciting developments, the editors organized a meeting at Texel in 1989 and invited a number of mathematicians to write papers for this volume. Some of these papers were presented at the meeting; others arose from the discussions that took place. They were all chosen for their quality and relevance to the application of algebraic geometry to arithmetic problems.
Topics include: arithmetic surfaces, Chjerm functors, modular curves and modular varieties, elliptic curves, Kolyvagin’s work, K-theory and Galois representations. Besides the research papers, there is a letter of Parshin and a paper of Zagier with is interpretations of the Birch-Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture.
Research mathematicians and graduate students in algebraic geometry and number theory will find a valuable and lively view of the field in this state-of-the-art selection.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Arithmetic Algebraic Geometry
G., van der Geer
- Series Title Progress in Mathematics
- Series Abbreviated Title Progress in Mathematics(Birkhäuser)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4612-0457-2
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Boston, Inc. 1991
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-8176-3513-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4612-6769-0
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4612-0457-2
- Series ISSN 0743-1643
- Series E-ISSN 2296-505X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 444
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking