About this book
This is a meticulously detailed chronological record of significant events in the history of medical informatics and their impact on direct patient care and clinical research, offering a representative sampling of published contributions to the field.
The History of Medical Informatics in the United States has been restructured within this new edition, reflecting the transformation medical informatics has undergone in the years since 1990. The systems that were once exclusively institutionally driven – hospital, multihospital, and outpatient information systems – are today joined by systems that are driven by clinical subspecialties, nursing, pathology, clinical laboratory, pharmacy, imaging, and more. At the core is the person – not the clinician, not the institution – whose health all these systems are designed to serve.
A group of world-renowned authors have joined forces with Dr Marion Ball to bring Dr Collen’s incredible work to press. These recognized leaders in medical informatics, many of whom are recipients of the Morris F. Collen Award in Medical Informatics and were friends of or mentored by Dr Collen, carefully reviewed, editing and updating his draft chapters. This has resulted in the most thorough history of the subject imaginable, and also provides readers with a roadmap for the subject well into later in the century.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title The History of Medical Informatics in the United States
Morris F. Collen
Marion J. Ball
- Series Title Health Informatics
- Series Abbreviated Title Health Informatics(formerly:Computers in Health Care)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-6732-7
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4471-6731-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-7112-6
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4471-6732-7
- Series ISSN 1431-1917
- Series E-ISSN 2197-3741
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XXII, 755
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site