About this book
Based on the author’s twenty years of experience, this book shows the practicality of modern, conceptually new, wide area voltage control in transmission and distribution smart grids, in detail. Evidence is given of the great advantages of this approach, as well as what can be gained by new control functionalities which modern technologies now available can provide. The distinction between solutions of wide area voltage regulation (V-WAR) and wide area voltage protection (V-WAP) are presented, demonstrating the proper synergy between them when they operate on the same power system as well as the simplicity and effectiveness of the protection solution in this case.
The author provides an overview and detailed descriptions of voltage controls, distinguishing between generalities of underdeveloped, on-field operating applications and modern and available automatic control solutions, which are as yet not sufficiently known or perceived for what they are: practical, high-performance and reliable solutions. At the end of this thorough and complex preliminary analysis the reader sees the true benefits and limitations of more traditional voltage control solutions, and gains an understanding and appreciation of the innovative grid voltage control and protection solutions here proposed; solutions aimed at improving the security, efficiency and quality of electrical power system operation around the globe.
Voltage Control and Protection in Electrical Power Systems: From System Components to Wide-Area Control will help to show engineers working in electrical power companies and system operators the significant advantages of new control solutions and will also interest academic control researchers studying ways of increasing power system stability and efficiency.
Advances in Industrial Control aims to report and encourage the transfer of technology in control engineering. The rapid development of control technology has an impact on all areas of the control discipline. The series offers an opportunity for researchers to present an extended exposition of new work in all aspects of industrial control.
- Book Title Voltage Control and Protection in Electrical Power Systems
- Book Subtitle From System Components to Wide-Area Control
- Series Title Advances in Industrial Control
- Series Abbreviated Title Advances in Industrial Control
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-6636-8
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4471-6635-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-7165-2
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4471-6636-8
- Series ISSN 1430-9491
- Series E-ISSN 2193-1577
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVIII, 557
- Number of Illustrations 68 b/w illustrations, 337 illustrations in colour
Power Electronics, Electrical Machines and Networks
Control and Systems Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site