About this book
Immersive Multimodal Interactive Presence presents advanced interdisciplinary approaches that connect psychophysical and behavioral haptics research with advances in haptic technology and haptic rendering.
It delivers a summary of the results achieved in the IMMERSENCE European project and includes selected chapters by international researchers. Organized into two parts: I. Psychophysical and Behavioral Basis and II. Technology and Rendering, it is an excellent example of interdisciplinary research directed towards the advancement of multimodal immersive virtual environments with particular focus on haptic interaction.
The twelve chapters of the book are grouped around three different scenarios representing different types of interactions in virtual environments: Person-Object (PO), Person-Object-Person (POP) and Person-Person (PP) interaction. Recent results of psychophysical and behavioral studies are reported along with new technological developments for haptic displays and novel haptic rendering techniques.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Immersive Multimodal Interactive Presence
Christos D. Giachritsis
- Series Title Springer Series on Touch and Haptic Systems
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-2754-3
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4471-2753-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-6213-1
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4471-2754-3
- Series ISSN 2192-2977
- Series E-ISSN 2192-2985
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 258
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
User Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction
Robotics and Automation
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“This book undoubtedly delivers on the foundation elements of the virtual-human immersive, interactive presence. Readers will find that the book will generate interest to ask questions about new products, new approachs and new methods that need more research. Immersive Multimodal Interactive Presence delivers on the basics as a true introduction and provides a solid understanding of the issues involved.” (Jeff Thurston, 3dvisworld.com, November, 2013)