About this book
The history of computing has its origins at the outset of civilization, and the need for increasingly sophisticated calculations has grown as towns and communities evolved.
This lively and fascinating text traces the key developments in computation – from 3000 B.C. to the present day – in an easy-to-follow and concise manner. Providing a comprehensive introduction to the most significant events and concepts in the history of computing, the book embarks upon a journey from ancient Egypt to modern times; taking in mechanical calculators, early digital computers, the first personal computers and 3G mobile phones, among other topics. This expanded and revised new edition also examines the evolution of programming languages and the history of software engineering, in addition to such revolutions in computing as the invention of the World Wide Web.
Topics and features:
- Ideal for self-study, offering many pedagogical features such as chapter-opening key topics, chapter introductions and summaries, exercises, and a glossary
- Presents detailed information on major figures in computing, such as Boole, Babbage, Shannon, Turing, Zuse and Von Neumann
- Reviews the history of software engineering and of programming languages, including syntax and semantics
- Discusses the progress of artificial intelligence
- Examines the impact on society of the introduction of the personal computer, the World Wide Web, and the development of mobile phone technology
- Follows the evolution of a number of major technology companies, including IBM, Microsoft and Apple
This clearly written and broad-ranging text both gives the reader a flavour of the history and stimulates further study in the subject. As such, it will be of great benefit to students of computer science, while also capturing the interest of the more casual reader.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4471-2359-0
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4471-2358-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4471-2359-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site