Table of contents
About this book
Ellen A. Dornelas Editor
Stress Proof the Heart
Behavioral Interventions for Cardiac Patients
That cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in America is widely known. Gaining in understanding is the role of the type D personality—characterized by chronic anxiety, depression, and negative emotions—as a risk factor in recurring cardiac problems and early death. Yet while behavior-based treatment references are available to clinicians in other specialties, few exist for cardiologists.
Stress Proof the Heart presents a general picture of behavioral cardiology while focusing in depth on critical specifics. Leading experts in the field explore the psychological aspects of living with arrhythmia, intracardiac device, heart failure, and heart transplant, relating them to psychological characteristics such as pessimism and the feeling of overcommitment. Mainstream treatments, such as stress management and smoking cessation, and emerging interventions, such as computer-based therapies and personality-based techniques, are discussed at length for a well-rounded look at what works and what is promising. Among the topics covered:
• Psychological challenges of living with coronary artery disease.
• Psychological treatment of patients with heart failure.
• Interventions in the context of the type D personality.
• Managing sleep problems in cardiac patients.
• Exercise as medicine for cardiac patients.
• Integrative treatment models for behavioral cardiology.
Filling a growing need in the literature, Stress Proof the Heart is a unique source of practical ideas and clinical examples for health and clinical psychologists, nurses, and allied professionals providing behavioral care to cardiac patients.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-5650-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4419-5649-1
- Online ISBN 978-1-4419-5650-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site