About this book
This interdisciplinary volume brings together many of the world’s leading clinicians and researchers to discuss current and anticipated developments in the understanding of narcolepsy.
The volume is broadly divided into four main sections: Section I: Etiology; Section II: Clinical Considerations; Section III: Psychosocial considerations; and Section IV: Management. The areas covered include findings from research investigations on the genetic predisposition and pathophysiology, psychosocial aspects, and clinical management of narcolepsy by means of pharmacological and non-pharmacological methods. Special attention is paid to the translational aspects of narcolepsy.
This volume is suitable for sleep disorders specialists and researchers, psychiatrists, neurologists, psychologists, social workers, behavioral scientists, graduate medical students, and any professionals and researchers interested in the interdisciplinary area of sleep medicine.
· Focus on issues faced in day-to-day clinical settings – helps to inform and change clinical practice
· Chapters address both clinical and research basis – highlights potential areas of future research
· Interdisciplinary and translational approach – suitable for a wide range of clinicians and biomedical professionals
Meeta Goswami, BDS, PhD, MPH, has been the director of the Narcolepsy Institute since its inception in 1985 and serves as an Assistant Professor of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Her general area of research interest includes narcolepsy and psychosocial issues.
S.R. Pandi-Perumal, M.Sc, is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Somnogen Inc, a New York Corporation. He is a well-recognized sleep researcher both nationally and internationally, and has authored many publications. His general area of research interest includes sleep and biological rhythms. He is a well-known editor in the field of sleep medicine and has edited over 15 volumes dealing with various sleep-related topics.
Michael J Thorpy, MD, has won many awards for his research including one of the sleep field's highest honors: the Nathaniel Kleitman Award. He is a well-published researcher and a board-certified sleep physician. He serves as a Professor of Neurology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the Director of the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Narcolepsy
- Book Subtitle A Clinical Guide
S. R. Pandi-Perumal
Michael J. Thorpy
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0854-4
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag New York 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4419-0853-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4899-8517-0
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4419-0854-4
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXII, 330
- Number of Illustrations 29 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
General Practice / Family Medicine
- Buy this book on publisher's site