Table of contents
About this book
For this volume, we have brought together a group of contributors who address the most recent advances in plant biotechnology and what they mean for human progress and a more sustainable future.
Plant biotechnology, which is gaining in importance, applies in three major areas: the control of plant growth and development, the protection of plants against environmental and biotic stresses, and the expansion of ways by which specialty foods, biochemicals and pharmaceuticals are produced. Our lives are being affected in many ways, particularly in connection with sustainable food production and distribution systems, genetically modified organisms, integrative medicine strategies to treat human diseases, bioremediation of toxic waste sites, alternative energy production systems that utilize bioenergy sources, and both risks and benefits that fall within the rubric of plant biotechnology.
The topics covered in Recent Advances in Plant Biotechnology will be a valuable resource to plant biotechnologists, plant biologists, biochemists, molecular biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmacists; agronomists, plant breeders, and geneticists; ethnobotanists, ecologists, and conservationists; medical practitioners and nutritionists; research investigators in industry, federal laboratories, and universities; and students and teachers in the biological and biomedical sciences.
Instructors and students will find particular interest in the provided content on plant functional genomics, gene and metabolic engineering, and molecular farming, as well as in the multiple examples of the transition from fundamental science to technological applications.
- Book Title Recent Advances in Plant Biotechnology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0194-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag US 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4419-0193-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4899-7916-2
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4419-0194-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 405
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Plant Genetics and Genomics
- Buy this book on publisher's site