Table of contents
About this book
This is the first book to provide a cutting edge reference to the fascinating topic of blind source separation (BSS) for convolved speech mixtures. Through contributions by the foremost experts on the subject, the book provides an up-to-date account of research findings, explains the underlying theory, and discusses potential applications. The individual chapters are designed to be tutorial in nature with specific emphasis on an in-depth treatment of state of the art techniques.
Blind Speech Separation is divided into three parts:
Part 1 presents overdetermined or critically determined BSS. Here the main technology is independent component analysis (ICA). ICA is a statistical method for extracting mutually independent sources from their mixtures. This approach utilizes spatial diversity to discriminate between desired and undesired components, i.e., it reduces the undesired components by forming a spatial null towards them. It is, in fact, a blind adaptive beamformer realized by unsupervised adaptive filtering.
Part 2 addresses underdetermined BSS, where there are fewer microphones than source signals. Here, the sparseness of speech sources is very useful; we can utilize time-frequency diversity, where sources are active in different regions of the time-frequency plane.
Part 3 presents monaural BSS where there is only one microphone. Here, we can separate a mixture by using the harmonicity and temporal structure of the sources. We can build a probabilistic framework by assuming a source model, and separate a mixture by maximizing the a posteriori probability of the sources.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Blind Speech Separation
- Series Title Signals and Communication Technology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-6479-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4020-6478-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-90-481-7651-9
- eBook ISBN 978-1-4020-6479-1
- Series ISSN 1860-4862
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 432
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Signal, Image and Speech Processing
Communications Engineering, Networks
Microwaves, RF and Optical Engineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site