About this book
This volume contains a collection of contributions to the science of language, focusing on the study of word length in particular. Within a synergetic framework, the word turns out to be a central linguistic unit, as is clearly outlined in the Editorâ€™s preface. The bookâ€™s first chapter is an extensive introduction to the history and state of the art of word length studies.
The studies included unify contributions from three important linguistic fields, namely, linguistics and text analysis, mathematics and statistics, and corpus and data base design, which together give a comprehensive approach to the quantitative study of text and language and word length studies.
The broad spectrum of word length studies covered within this volume will be of interest to experts working in the fields of general linguistics, text scholarship and related fields, and, understanding language as one example of complex semiotic systems, the volume should be of interest for scholars from other fields as well.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-4068-9
- Copyright Information Springer 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Social Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-4020-4067-2
- Online ISBN 978-1-4020-4068-9
- Series Print ISSN 1386-291X
- Buy this book on publisher's site