Table of contents
About this book
Unified Signal Theory is an indispensible textbook dealing with the theory of deterministic signals; a topic of fundamental interest to graduates and senior undergraduates in the areas of information engineering (telecommunications, control, systems theory and electronics), astronomy, oceanography, earth science, biology and medicine.
The unified theory follows an innovative approach – that of combining all signal classes into just one. The fundamental signal operations (convolution, Fourier transform, linear systems, sampling and interpolation) are established simultaneously for all the signal classes. This unified approach avoids the repetition of similar concepts consequent on other approaches’ separate treatment of definitions and properties for each signal class. Modern wavelet ideas are developed in harmony with the rest of the text.
Unified Signal Theory provides:
· exercises and examples, to give the student practice;
· solutions which are available for download and save the tutor time; and
· a choice of two suggested reading paths depending on the level of the student, for an enhanced learning experience.
The advantages of the unified approach are many: it permits a global vision of the topic, it is economical in teaching and learning, and it can be adjusted easily to fit new applications. This textbook presents the theory in five chapters, and goes on to demonstrate specific applications suchas fast Fourier transform implementation, sampling and reconstructions of signals, multicarrier modulation systems, image scanning and tomography, in a further six chapters. Mathematical concepts are introduced conceptually within the body of the book with more rigorous treatment being reserved for the appendices.
- Book Title Unified Signal Theory
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-85729-464-7
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2011
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-85729-463-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4471-6920-8
- eBook ISBN 978-0-85729-464-7
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XX, 928
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Signal, Image and Speech Processing
Image Processing and Computer Vision
Communications Engineering, Networks
Control and Systems Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“Unified signal theory here refers to a development of operations on signals and systems … . The first part of the book is appropriate for an undergraduate level course in Fourier methods in engineering. The middle part containing the unified theory could be used as a hybrid course for mathematics and engineering students, and the last part provides an adequate background to understand techniques and applications in current literature.” (Joseph D. Lakey, Mathematical Reviews, May, 2015)“The book, which is intended as a textbook for technical and scientific faculties, not necessarily mathematical ones, is at a graduate level, but can be of interest for mathematicians interested in signal theory. … the present volume represents a true treatise in signal theory containing many original ideas. It is surely an excellent scientific work.” (Dumitru Stanomir, Zentralblatt MATH, Vol. 1226, 2012)