About this book
Galaxy collisions are the key process in building galaxies, triggering the formation of stars and the build-up of heavy elements that allow the formation of planets and solar systems. This book presents the revolutionary research advances achieved in the last decade and lucidly explains the underlying dynamical processes.
- takes a comprehensive trip through the visually spectacular world of galaxy collisions;
- investigates the interactions of stars, gas clouds, and dark matter in galaxy collisions;
- uses analogies and metaphors to help comprehend the bizarre world of galaxies;
- presents recent research results to enhance the understanding of galaxy formation and evolution;
- includes discoveries of minor collisions within our own group of galaxies;
- shows how a galaxy collision might affect a solar system, or a planet like ours.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-85371-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-85370-3
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-85371-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors