About this book
Analysis of Waiting-Time Data in Health Services Research
By Boris Sobolev, University of British Columbia, and Lisa Kuramoto, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
Access to care, patient flow, treatment outcomes—each of these indicators is crucial to determining quality of care in health systems, and the length of time that patients wait for surgery unites them all. Presenting a detailed set of statistical concepts and methods, Analysis of Waiting-Time Data in Health Services Research asks critical questions linking waiting times to health care outcomes. Generously illustrated with charts and tables, the book places this type of data collection, analysis, and reporting firmly in the context of health services research, the study of outcomes of health care delivery to a population.
Some of the questions investigated in this volume include:
- What factors are associated with longer waiting times?
- What is the probability of undergoing elective surgery within the recommended time?
- How does the type of procedure affect waiting time?
- What are the effects of delays in scheduling an operation?
- What is the risk of unplanned emergency surgery among patients waiting for surgery?
- What is the risk of death associated with delayed surgical treatment?
The authors use Canadian data on time to elective coronary artery bypass grafting, vascular surgery, and cholecystectomy to arrive at potent answers. This in-depth analysis offers researchers and advanced students in health services research an invaluable framework for studying access to care both within and across institutions. At the same time, the book serves as a practical resource for administrators and policymakers seeking to improve access and effectiveness at their hospitals.
Dr. Sobolev and Ms. Kuramoto are based at the Centre of Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation of the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-76422-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-76421-4
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-76422-1
- Buy this book on publisher's site