About this book
Determinants of Minority Mental Health and Wellness
Edited by Sana Loue and Martha Sajatovic
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
Among members of minority groups, the experience and stigma of mental illness vary widely; the same holds true for coping, adjustment, and resilience. These views are central to a burgeoning literature analyzing the issues either by population or by diagnosis. Determinants of Minority Mental Health and Wellness complements these approaches by focusing on risk factors, protective factors, and prevention strategies across a wide range of cultural, ethnic, sexual, and other minorities. Noted contributors examine the roles played by health determinants based on the Bronfenbrenner model, beginning with larger societal dynamics and progressing to individual behavior and choices. In addition, the book pinpoints critical concepts of mental health and well-being, and refines the concept of the minority in our demographically fluid society, for coverage that is relevant, challenging, and scholarly.
Chapter authors explore risk and protective factors at four levels:
- Macrosocial: political/legal, urbanization/migration, health care systems, the media.
- Exosystemic: healing traditions, religion/spirituality, social support, education, gender, subgroups, discrimination.
- Microsystemic: family dynamics, socioeconomic status.
- Ontogenic: genetics, mental illness, cognitive functioning, stress/resilience, substance use/abuse.
Plus critical discussion is included on:
- Methodological challenges in conducting research.
- Why social systems often fall short, and what we can do to improve them.
Determinants of Minority Mental Health and Wellness gives clinicians specialized tools for tapping into client strengths, revealing new avenues for therapy. It makes a superior research reference and graduate text in a variety of fields, among them public health, psychology, sexuality, epidemiology, counseling, and social work.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-75659-2
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-75658-5
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-75659-2
- Buy this book on publisher's site