About this book
Geropsychology and Long Term Care
A Practitioner’s Guide
Edited by Erlene Rosowsky, Boston, MA, Joseph M. Casciani, San Diego, CA, and Merla Arnold, Huntington Station, NY
Among the growing population living in nursing homes and assisted-living communities, emotional and behavioral problems are frequently undiagnosed and unaddressed. Increased interest in these elders’ quality of life has brought geropsychology to the fore as a major specialty, as evinced by Psychologists in Long-Term Care (PLTC). This organization has been instrumental in establishing standards for appropriate, respectful, and ethical care, and developing education and training resources for professionals. Geropsychology and Long Term Care is just such a resource, aimed at practitioners at all levels of experience, regardless of theoretical orientation. The contributors, all experts affiliated with PLTC, offer coverage that is up-to-date, readily accessible, and eminently useful, whether the reader needs information on bedrock skills, multidisciplinary treatment, privacy issues, or the way facilities are run.
Among the topics covered:
- Common psychological disorders in long-term care, and their prevalence.
- Federal policy issues affecting care delivery.
- Funding and referral processes in nursing homes.
- Assessment tools commonly used with elders in long-term care.
- Treatment plans and process, including the integration of psychiatric medicine into therapy.
- Types of LTC providers, their training, and their roles in multidisciplinary care.
- Outcomes measurement and Medicare documentation.
Geropsychology and Long Term Care serves a variety of purposes: a meticulous introduction for the new (or new-to-the-specialty) clinician, a practical update for the seasoned professional, a helpful teaching manual for the trainer, a critical adjunct for the trainee.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-72648-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag New York 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-72646-5
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-72648-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site