About this book
It is well known that the Sun gravitationally controls the orbits of planets and minor bodies. Much less known, however, is the domain of plasma fields and charged particles in which the Sun governs a heliosphere out to a distance of about 15 billion kilometers.
What forces activates the Sun to maintain this power? Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) and their descendants are the troops serving the Sun during high solar activity periods.
This volume offers a comprehensive and integrated overview of our present knowledge and understanding of Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) and their descendants, Interplanetary CMEs (ICMEs). It results from a series of workshops held between 2000 and 2004. An international team of about sixty experimenters involved e.g. in the SOHO, ULYSSES, VOYAGER, PIONEER, HELIOS, WIND, IMP, and ACE missions, ground observers, and theoreticians worked jointly on interpreting the observations and developing new models for CME initiations, development, and interplanetary propagation.
The book provides researchers active in space physics with an overview of the current understanding of CMEs and ICMEs, and their effects in the heliosphere. It also provides the advanced graduate student with introductory material on this active field of research.
- Book Title Coronal Mass Ejections
R. Von Steiger
- Series Title Space Sciences Series of ISSI
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-45088-9
- Copyright Information Springer 2006
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-387-45086-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4419-2356-1
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-45088-9
- Series ISSN 1385-7525
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VI, 484
- Number of Illustrations 116 b/w illustrations, 46 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information Reprinted from Space Science Reviews Journal, Vol. 123/1-4
Astronomy, Observations and Techniques
Astrophysics and Astroparticles
Space Sciences (including Extraterrestrial Physics, Space Exploration and Astronautics)
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors