About this book
Several works on multimedia storage appear in literature today, but very little if any, have been devoted to handling long duration video retrieval, over large scale networks. Distributed retrieval of multimedia documents, especially the long duration documents, is an imperative step in rendering high-quality, high-fidelity, and cost-effective services for network service providers.
Distributed Multimedia Retrieval Strategies for Large Scale Networked Systems presents an up-to-date research status in the domain of distributed video retrieval. This professional book will include several different techniques that are in place for long duration video retrieval. An experimentally tested technology under the JINI platform, demonstrates a practical working system which serves as a feasibility study, as well as the first step in realizing such a technology.
Distributed Multimedia Retrieval Strategies for Large Scale Networked Systems is designed for a professional audience composed of researchers and practitioners in industry. This volume is also suitable for graduate-level students in computer science.
- Book Title Distributed Multimedia Retrieval Strategies for Large Scale Networked Systems
- Series Title Multimedia Systems and Applications
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-29675-3
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2006
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-387-28873-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-4419-3960-9
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-29675-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVIII, 268
- Number of Illustrations 92 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Multimedia Information Systems
Information Storage and Retrieval
Computer Communication Networks
Computer Systems Organization and Communication Networks
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews:
"This book presents a design for a multimedia storage and retrieval system (MSR) that addresses these issues. … The material is well handed and clearly written. … Especially helpful are periodic summaries of the data elements involved in the calculations. … The theoretical mathematical analysis is supported by numerous charts showing the results of simulation runs. … This book should be of interest to those working in either research or professional positions … . could also be used in a graduate-level computer science course." (G. R. Mayforth, Computing Reviews, August, 2006)