About this book
R is a powerful and free software system for data analysis and graphics, with over 1,200 add-on packages available. This book introduces R using SAS and SPSS terms with which you are already familiar. It demonstrates which of the add-on packages are most like SAS and SPSS and compares them to R's built-in functions. It steps through over 30 programs written in all three packages, comparing and contrasting the packages' differing approaches. The programs and practice datasets are available for download.
The glossary defines over 50 R terms using SAS/SPSS jargon and again using R jargon. The table of contents and the index allow you to find equivalent R functions by looking up both SAS statements and SPSS commands. When finished, you will be able to import data, manage and transform it, create publication quality graphics, and perform basic statistical analyses.
Robert A. Muenchen is the manager of the Statistical Consulting Center at the University of Tennessee and has 28 years of experience as a consulting statistician. He has served on the advisory boards of SPSS Inc. and the Statistical Graphics Corporation.
"This is a really great book. It is easy to read, quite comprehensive, and would be extremely valuable to both regular R users and users of SAS and SPSS who wish to switch to or learn about R…An invaluable reference."
- David Hitchcock, University of South Carolina
"Thanks for writing R for SAS and SPSS Users--it is a comprehensible and clever document. The graphics chapter is superb!"
- Tony N. Brown, Vanderbilt University
"This is a Rosetta Stone for SPSS and SAS users to start learning R quickly and effectively."
- Ralph O'Brien, ASA Fellow
"I am a professional SAS and SPSS programmer and found this book extremely useful."
- Tony Chu, Public Policy Research Data Analyst
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-09418-2
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag New York 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-09417-5
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-09418-2
- Series Print ISSN 1431-8784
- Buy this book on publisher's site