Table of contents
About this book
The book presents logical foundations for rule-based systems, as seen by the Author. An attempt has been made to provide an in-depth discussion of logical and other aspects of such systems, including languages for knowledge representation, inference mechanisms, inference control, design and verification. The ultimate goal was to provide a deeper theoretical insight into the nature of rule-based systems and put together the most complete presentation including details so frequently skipped in typical textbooks. The main parts present material on: • logical foundations of rule-based systems (Part I); • principles of rule-based systems structures, knowledge representation languages, inference and inference control (Part II); • verification of formal properties of rule-based systems (Part III); • design methodology for efficient development of such systems (Part IV).
The book may be useful to potentially wide audience, but it is aimed at providing specific knowledge for graduate, post-graduate and Ph.D. students, as well as knowledge engineers and research workers involved in the domain of AI. It also constitutes a summary of the Author’s research and experience gathered through several years of his research work.
- Book Title Logical Foundations for Rule-Based Systems
- Series Title Studies in Computational Intelligence
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-32446-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2006
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-540-29117-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-06709-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-540-32446-1
- Series ISSN 1860-949X
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XX, 309
- Number of Illustrations 33 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information Originally published in Poland by AGH University of Science and Technology Press, Kraków, Poland.
Mathematical and Computational Engineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews of the second edition:
"Rule-Based Systems (RBSs) constitute a powerful tool for specification of knowledge in design and implementation of knowledge-based systems … . The aim of this book is to present RBSs from the logical perspective … . The special feature of this book on RBSs is that … the present RBS monograph follows a unitary line of formalism … . The book is addressed to researchers, students and engineers interested in RBS technology … a source of inspiration for knowledge engineering theory and practice." (Neculai Cureanu, Zentralblatt MATH, Vol. 1095 (21), 2006)