Table of contents
About this book
Foresight in an engineering enterprise can make the difference between success and failure and can be vital to the effective control of industrial systems. Forecasting the future from accumulated historical data is a tried and tested method in areas such as engineering finance. Applying time series analysis in the on-line milieu of most industrial plants has been more problematic because of the time and computational effort required. The advent of soft computing tools such as the neural network and the genetic algorithm offers a solution.
Chapter by chapter, Computational Intelligence in Time Series Forecasting harnesses the power of intelligent technologies individually and in combination. Examples of the particular systems and processes susceptible to each technique are investigated, cultivating a comprehensive exposition of the improvements on offer in quality, model building and predictive control, and the selection of appropriate tools from the plethora available; these include:
• forecasting electrical load, chemical reactor behaviour and high-speed-network congestion using fuzzy logic;
• prediction of airline passenger patterns and of output data for nonlinear plant with combination neuro-fuzzy networks;
• evolutionary modelling and anticipation of stock performance by the use of genetic algorithms.
Application-oriented engineers in process control, manufacturing, the production industries and research centres will find much to interest them in Computational Intelligence in Time Series Forecasting and the book is suitable for industrial training purposes. It will also serve as valuable reference material for experimental researchers.
Advances in Industrial Control aims to report and encourage the transfer of technology in control engineering. The rapid development of control technology has an impact on all areas of the control discipline. The series offers an opportunity for researchers to present an extended exposition of new work in all aspects of industrial control.
- Book Title Computational Intelligence in Time Series Forecasting
- Book Subtitle Theory and Engineering Applications
- Series Title Advances in Industrial Control
- Series Abbreviated Title Advances in Industrial Control
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/1-84628-184-9
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2005
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-85233-948-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-84996-970-3
- eBook ISBN 978-1-84628-184-6
- Series ISSN 1430-9491
- Series E-ISSN 2193-1577
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXII, 372
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Simulation and Modeling
Control, Robotics, Mechatronics
Quality Control, Reliability, Safety and Risk
Statistics for Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Earth Sciences
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews:
This is a monograph whose aim is of special and singular interest: to present systematic and comprehensive methods and techniques of computational intelligence and soft computing for solving forecasting and prediction problems … of time series. The book is designed to be largely self-contained and is devoted to offer researchers, practicing engineers, and applications-oriented professionals a reference volume and a valuable guide for the design, building and execution of forecasting and prediction experiments … . The entire monograph is sensibly structured … .
Zentralblatt MATH 1095 (2006) (Reviewer: Neculai Curteanu)