About this book
This manual is a step-by-step method of two basic catheterizations in the laboratory rat. These vascular surgeries are the most widely used procedures in research laboratories around the world from drug discovery application to critical compound administration and blood sampling.
The unique presentation of this manual brings together all aspects of surgery with listed materials, high resolution pictures, and method descriptions for each step. Chapters focus on surgical technique while addressing animal welfare. Comprehensive information on anatomy, catheter materials, applications, and rat biodata are compiled from multiple resources. The book’s easy, flip chart style and combination of reference materials will enable any technician to learn these surgeries effectively and efficiently in a single source for the first time. Angela Heiser’s extensive experience in performing and training scientists in these surgical procedures in academia and the pharmaceutical industry for over twenty-five years ensures the practicality of the manual.
The field of animal science is highly regulated to ensure humane and ethical care in the use of laboratory animals as required by the Animal Welfare Act. This comprehensive and concise guide will support animal welfare by improving the understanding of important concepts such as sterile handling, anesthetic stages, and health monitoring. Individuals dedicated to applying these mandates through quality training and education will appreciate this contribution as a unique teaching and learning tool.
- Book Title Rat Jugular Vein and Carotid Artery Catheterization for Acute Survival Studies
- Book Subtitle A Practical Guide
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/0-387-49416-2
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- eBook ISBN 978-0-387-49416-6
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 116
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 118 illustrations in colour
Animal Anatomy / Morphology / Histology
- Buy this book on publisher's site