Learning Assistant (LA) instead of Teaching Assistant (TA) in Korea?
- 57 Downloads
An introductory physics course is a basic course in many majors including physics. However, both faculty and students experience difficulties in this course because of large scale of many students as well as the wide learning gaps between the students who took physics in high school and those who did not. Therefore, it is necessary to find a way to fix the learning gap and resolve the difficulty in classroom management. To help the faculty in handling those students who have difficulties in large introductory physics classes, the learning assistant (LA) model can be introduced. In this model, the pre-service teachers or elder students in physics or physics education department who took this course can act as the learning assistants; therefore, they are given sufficient time to incorporate pedagogical knowledge, while the students’ difficulties are addressed. This study proposes three types of educational programs using the LA model by considering the context of Korean institutions, students, and faculty.
KeywordsLearning assistant Introductory physics Pre-service teacher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Y. M. Kim, Sae Mulli 56, 2 (2008).Google Scholar
- H, Nam and K, Mun, J. Learner-cen. Curri & Inst. 16, 985 (2016).Google Scholar
- Learning assistant alliance, https://doi.org/learningassistantalliance.org/(accessed Apr. 15, 2018).
- G. L. Cochran and D. T. Brookes, SFERC (2013), p. 19.Google Scholar
- E. Fineus and M. L. Fernandez, COERC (2012), p. 54.Google Scholar
- J. K. Knight, S. B. Wise, J. Rentsch and E. M. Furtak, CBE-LSE 14, ar41 (2015).Google Scholar
- R. M. Talbot, L. M. Hartley, K. Marzetta and B. S. Wee, J. Coll. Sci. Teach. 44, 28 (2015).Google Scholar
- M. R. Ko, J. J. Nam and J. H. Lim, J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Educ. 29, 54 (2009).Google Scholar
- Y. M. Kim, J. W. Park, J. S. Park, H. N. Lee and Y. S. Kim, J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Educ. 30, 785 (2010).Google Scholar
- J. S. White, B. Van Dusen and E. A. Roualdes, arXiv:1607.07469 (2016).Google Scholar
- B. Van Dusen, J. S. White and E. A. Roualdes, arXiv:1607.07121 (2016).Google Scholar
- B. Van Dusen, J. S. S. White and E. Roualdes, arXiv:1607.07121 (2016).Google Scholar
- N. McHenry, A. Martin, A. Castaldo and D. Ziegenfuss, IJTLHE 22, 258 (2010).Google Scholar
- J. Lee, Y. Moon, E. J. Oh and J. B. Kim, Sch. Sci. J. 10, 68 (2016).Google Scholar
- E. J. Oh, Master’s thesis, Korea National University of Education, 2016.Google Scholar
- N. D. Finkelstein, V. Otero and S. J. Pollock, Forum on Education (2007), p. 11.Google Scholar